Have you been dreaming about flying to Canada on a student visa? SOP for Canada study visa plays a big role in materializing that dream. See some of the best sample sop for Canada student visa.
Want to know more? This blog explains everything you need to know.
In this detailed blog, we will cover:
- What is Canada study visa SOP?
- How to write it?
- Sample SOP for Canada student visa
What Is the SOP for Canada Student Visa?
SOP for Canada student visa is a document you will need to hand over to the Canadian visa issuing authority when you apply for a student visa to Canada. You can write the document in about 1000 words.
Why Do You Need to Write an SOP to Study in Canada?
As a student aspiring to go to Canada, it’s on you to clarify everything that the visa officers may want to know about you before issuing you the student visa. Through the student visa SOP, you will convey to the authority:
- Why you opted for Canada?
- How you will fund your tuition fees and other expenses while staying in Canada?
- What are your future plans?
- Whether you have any special case scenarios that need to be clarified such as backlogs or gaps
How to Organize Your Student Visa SOP for Canada? Paragraph Structure
When you write your SOP for Canada study visa, it is good to add a title to each paragraph so that the reader knows what to expect in that paragraph. Depending on how you want to present your points, you can name your paragraphs and thus structure your document. Here is a general structure for your consideration.
Introduction and family background:
Start your document by giving an overview of who you are, what your family backgrounds are, what made you interested in your chosen field of higher studies etc. Try to present your points in an engaging way as in the SOP for Canada study visa samples, listing the details in chronological order so that the reader can easily relate to them.
Academic and professional history:
Name the next paragraph as academic/professional history or whatever that you think will best describe it. In this paragraph, try to focus on giving information about what you have studied and in what industry you were employed. Describe how closely they are related to the course you have chosen. If you are choosing a different field, establish the reasons and also tell how your previous backgrounds contributed to your decision to change the field.
Why this course and why at this institute:
Explain your reasons for studying your chosen course at this particular institute in Canada. In detail, elaborate your motivation for selecting the specific course. Mentioning any relevant incident or story would be helpful. Also explain the academic or non-academic factors that attracted you to the institute and how you think the institute will be beneficial to your choice.
Why Canada and why not your home country:
In this paragraph, try to convince the reader about your reasons for choosing Canada as your educational destination. It will be a good idea to identify the uniqueness of the course your institute offers in Canada and highlight that in your explanation.
Highlight in your future plans that you will return to your home country and invest your skills, exposure and time to build a rewarding career in your passionate field in your home country, benefiting the people or communities that you hold close to your heart.
Conclude by showing your enthusiasm for studying in Canada and hope that the wealth of knowledge and exposure your formation would provide you with.
Read the Best Sample SOP for Canada Student Visa
Take a look at this SOP sample for Canada study visa. Make it a point to take note of all the different elements discussed in it.
Whatever your thoughts are, let us know in the comments below. Wish you best of luck with your Canada student visa processing.
Study Plan Sample for Canada
In some cases, your consultant may ask you to submit a study plan instead of SOP or LOE. Here is a Canada study plan sample for your reference. Make sure that you don’t copy it. Use the insights to learn how to write a study plan for Canada visa and compose one on your own.
6 Essential Tips to Make Your Study Permit Statement Pressing
Do you want to make your Canada visa SOP a pressing one that your selectors won’t ignore? Here are five important tips that will help you achieve that in your writing.
Focus on the most relevant attributes:
Don’t be tempted to list out every skill and strength. Pick a few that are most relevant in the context and solidify them with evidence.
Keep it engaging:
Make your reader enjoy reading your personal statement. Write using simple language and being very personal so that the reader can relate to you.
Make the introduction really appealing:
The introduction should not only say what is to come in the essay but give the reader a very good first impression about your story.
Nothing goes wrong as much as dishonest information when Canadian authorities review your visa application. Make your statement 100% genuine.
Make your Canada Visa SOP a document that rightly shows your enthusiasm, positivity and confidence. Never let it have a negative shade.
Show how you stand out:
Rather than showing your desperate need to study in Canada, try to emphasize why you are the most suitable candidate than the rest of the applicants.
How to Justify Study Gap?
If you have had any study gaps or arrears, don’t hide them because Canadian authorities closely peruse all of your documents and lack of clarity regarding gaps will raise further questions. Use these tips to learn how to cover gap for study visa.
- Mention the gap and the reasons for the gap.
- Explain how you overcame it
- Establish that the gaps never affected your career negatively but rather helped you discover something very interesting for your career
- List out the skills you developed or any specific achievements you have had during the said duration of the gap.
12 Must Avoid Common Mistakes in Your Canada Study Visa SOP
The following mistakes are quite frequently spotted in the Canada study visa SOPs submitted by students. When there is a huge number of visa applications, authorities will shortlist profiles that contain flawless SOPs. In such a scenario, even minute mistakes can void your chances.
Failing to Comply with the University/Visa Office Guidelines
Including Unwanted Details
Opening with an Unimpressive, Mediocre Intro
Using Informal Language and Slang
Writing without an Effective, Apt Format
Concentrating Exceedingly on Weak Academic Scores
Grammatical or Syntax Errors in the SOP
Using the First Draft as the Final Copy for Submission
Too Much Praising for the University/Country
Using Dishonest Statements to Make You Look Better
Plagiarizing Sample SOPs Available Online
8 Reasons Behind Student Visa Rejection
Here are the eight most common reasons for Canada student visa rejection. While filing your visa application, be mindful of these rejection causes. You can effectively use your visa SOP and study gap justification letter to justify certain areas that you think visa officers might want more clarity on.
- Failure to establish that you are a bona fide student
- Not being able to justify the choice of your program
- Failure to show your financial capability to live in Canada
- Not possessing adequate English language proficiency
- Incomplete documents presented with the application
- Not clear career goals in the home country after the course in Canada
- Lack of career prospects in the home country for the chosen course
- Lack of identity of travel documents submitted with the SOP
What is the refusal rate of Canada study visa applications?
As one of the most sought study destinations by international students,
Canada receives thousands of student visa applications each year.
According to the latest report of IRCC, the number of international students holding
Canadian Student Visa in 2021 is about 621,565 which is double the number
of the year 2015.
Due to the rise in the student visa application, the rejection rate of Canada
student visa has been increased.
As of September 2022, Canada Student Visa rejection rate for some of the Indian states is 60 % which is double the
average Canada visa refusal rate.
The most common reasons for the visa rejection are financial instability, lack of course motivation and choice of the
college, unavailability of Permanent Residence etc.
How to Apply for a Canada Student Visa After 12th?
Lately, a growing number of students in countries like India fly to Canada for higher education after the 12th rather than waiting to complete graduation. What are the requirements to apply for a student visa in Canada after completing 12th?
Canada Study Visa Requirements After 12th
- Approval from the college or university for your graduation
- GPA required by the institute
- SOP for Canada student visa after 12th
- Proof of funds to study in Canada
- Letter of recommendation from at least two authorised personals
If you wish to take up a short-term program after completing your graduation, you can apply for a visa extension by writing a study permit extension letter of explanation
How to Apply for a Canada Student Visa After Graduation?
If you have already completed your graduation in your home country, you can still apply for graduation or post-graduation in Canada. In order to get a student visa after graduation, you need to fulfil the following requirements.
- Select a course for your additional graduation or post-graduation or diploma
- Get admission approval from the college or university
- Appear for the IELTS exam and secure the required score
- Write a compelling Canada student visa SOP after graduation
- Have sufficient funds in your account to prove that you can manage your tuition fees, food and accommodation in Canada
Do You Need to Seek SOP Writer Assistance?
It is not necessary to seek any type of assistance from any writers to draft your Canada study permit essay or cover letter for study permit Canada if you are confident to write either of them on your own. However, if you are doubtful whether your SOP underperforms in any area, it is recommended to seek writer assistance.
Checklist to Write Your Own SOP
If you are planning to write the Canada visa SOP on your own, use the following checklist for your writing.
- Get the recommended SOP format for Canada student visa
- Know how to structure the SOP
- Find out what the recommended word count
- Have an in-depth understanding about your chosen program
- Review a few sample letter of explanation Canada study permit to improve your understanding
- Research your desired industry and its current status in Canada
- Prioritize your points based on their relevance
Why is It Recommended to Seek SOP Help from an Expert?
Given the weight that Canada visa SOP carries in deciding one’s chances of getting a study permit to Canada, it is better not to take a chance with this document and instead seek professional assistance.
- Professional writers know exactly what to emphasise in your visa SOP because they do it most of the time
- Since experts are familiar with the common SOP mistakes, they would avoid them in your document.
- Professional SOP writers would use the finest and simple language ensuring maximum readability and engagement.
Most Popular Courses for Student Visa Canada
Here is a list of the top ten courses that student visa applicants to Canada choose to study.
- Healthcare and medicine
- Social Work
- Computer Science
- Media and Journalism
- Information Technology
- Business Management
- Agriculture Science and Forestry
Eligibility Requirements for Getting Canada Study Permit
In order to get a study permit to Canada, you must fulfil the following requirements.
- You must have secured admission at any of the designated learning institutes
- You should have sufficient funds for your tuition fees, transportation, and food and accommodation while staying in Canada and valid documents to prove that
- You should have no criminal records
- An assurance that you will adhere to Canadian laws.
- A written statement of purpose for Canada visa stating your intent of visiting Canada and future plans after course completion.
- A guarantee that you will return to your home country after completing your formation in Canada.
- IELTS TRF with the required score.
- Medical examination certificate showing you are in good health and don’t suffer from any several health conditions.
What documents are needed for a Canadian study permit application?
- Proof of acceptance from university/college
- Proof of identity
- Proof of funds
- SOP letter for Canada student visa or letter of intent student visa Canada
- Letter of recommendation
- Any other documents visa authorities may request from you at the time of application processing
For More : IRCC study permit document details
That’s It. Let’s Know What You Think Now!
It is mandatory to write a flawless SOP for Canada study visa as it is the most crucial document in your visa application.
Are you ready now to start working on the document? We are eager to know how helpful this blog has been to you.
Do you have any doubts regarding any of the topics we discussed in this blog? Or do you wish to go through more best SOP samples for Canada student visa?
Get In Touch
- How to write an sop
- SOP for Canada
- SOP for Canada Visa
- SOP for Canada Visitor Visa
- SOP for PG Diploma in Canada
- SOP for MS in Computer Science
- SOP for Industrial Engineering
- SOP for Scholarship
- SOP for Law
- SOP for MBA
- SOP for Masters
- SOP for Phd
- SOP for Graduate school
- SOP for Australia Student Visa
- SOP for MS in UK
- How to write an LOR
- How to write a Personal Statement